Sunday, November 15, 2009

Another Poem and The Ace Hardware


12 x 12 inches, acrylic on canvas board

I was excited about how the last acrylic painting turned out, so I launched into another last night. One thing I like about Janesville is some of the old-fashioned signs in town. This one is huge, rising over the old hardware store that is one of my favorite places to shop. There is another over a downtown jewelry store, though the wonderful neon diamond on that sign blew down in a storm a few years ago. I painted the neon sign on front of our venerable Chinese restaurant (the oldest in Wisconsin) a few years ago, although I'd like to paint it again, larger, and in acrylic. My problem is that I don't manage to paint buildings and lettering especially well. If I practiced more on it I'd probably improve, but I suppose I'm too lazy to paint something, then write it off as "practice."

Tree Cutting
by Hanne Gauls, in the 2009 Wisconsin Poets Calendar

The county Artillery
lined the corner
of Timberline
and Europe Bay Road
declaring war
on enemy trees
obscuring the view
of highriding SUVs.

Bloody branches
spattered the road
winded trees
stretched their
injured stumps
yellow eyes egging
for their missing limbs.

1 comment:

Charlene Brown said...

I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to write something off as practice, and thinking I haven't done very well if the sign on a building (or the whole building) is a little bit wonky. And I'm always surprised when people say the paintings tell a much better story than a precise rendering could ever do -- which is exactly what I'm saying about Ace Hardware!