Tuesday, May 29, 2018

What Was Lost, Now Found

Altered photo, Caribbean Sunset

In April my dear husband and I went on a week-long cruise to Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Havana, Cuba.  The Havana part was the main reason for the trip, that plus wanting to get away from the cold and wet spring, and cautiously celebrating a good three-month check up at the oncologist's office.  Havana was a "bucket list" destination, a place that during most of my lifetime I was forbidden to visit.  What is it about forbidden fruit being the sweetest?

The cruise was good.  We flew to Fort Lauderdale, got on our Holland America ship, the Veendam, and sailed off into the impossibly blue Caribbean.  We ate and drank too much, and I enjoyed just sitting on our little balcony watching the flying fish skittering away from the ship.  We toured rum distilleries in Grand Cayman, explored a Mayan ruin in Cozumel (one we had failed to find on our own twenty years ago), and we lunched, listened to music, and smoked Cuban cigars in Havana.  And, as always, I took photos.

When we returned home, I hooked my trusty old Canon Powershot up to the Mac, and POOF!  The photos all disappeared.  Now I realized when we got home that there was a problem with the date and time function on the camera.  A little flat watch type battery had expired, and a Google search helped me figure out how to replace it.  What I didn't realize was that because of that dead battery, all our trip photos had incorrectly been time stamped for 1980.  And that's where I found the photos this week, back in 1980, where I was looking for something else altogether.

So, I am thrilled to discover that the pictures were not lost after all.  So here are just a few to highlight our lovely spring fling.









No comments: