Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Something Bookish

The Readers - 12x24 inch oil on canvas

Last year was a better reading year than I thought.  Looking back over my Goodreads page, I see that I finished sixty books, which is nowhere near the number I used to go through in a year, but better than I thought, considering the amount of time I spent napping or going to medical appointments in 2018, and the fact I started listening to Sirius radio instead of audio books in the car.

Looking back over the titles I completed did quite a lot of re-reading of titles I enjoyed in the past, and a higher than usual percentage of non-fiction titles. The older I get, the more I like memoirs. I was also interested in the book about how Janesville was affected when the GM plant shut down ten years ago.  I thought I knew more about that situation than I actually did.

Anyway, these are some of my favorites from 2018:

Moonglow - Michael Chabon
News of the World - Paulette Jiles
The Painted Drum - Louise Erdrich
War and Turpentine - Stefen Hertmans
All Quiet on the Western Front (reread) - Erich Maria Remarque
Chang and Eng - Darin Strauss
On the Move: A Life - Oliver Sacks
All Creatures Great and Small (reread) - James Herriot

No comments: