Sunday, February 3, 2008

Poetry Sunday


This watercolor was inspired by a black and white snapshot I found at my favorite consignment shop. The owner laughs at me, buying pictures of people I don't know, adopting them because I like their faces, their clothing, their posture. This lady lounges on a screened in sleeping porch, surrounded by leafy trees and drenched in sunlight. In the original she wears glasses and is smoking, but I edited. I want to learn to paint light, so my goal here was to show where the sunlight struck her face and hair, the window sills, the chair. I wish I could have suggested her face with less fiddling, but that seems to be an area I need to improve upon.

Sunflakes
by Frank Asch

If sunlight fell like snowflakes,
gleaming yellow and so bright,
we could build a sunman,
we could have a sunball fight,
we could watch the sunflakes
drifting in the sky.
We could go sleighing
in the middle of July
through sundrifts and sunbanks,
we could ride a sunmobile,
and we could touch sunflakes—
I wonder how they'd feel.

5 comments:

Teri said...

the play of light inhere is magnificent! Love that poem also.

Alyknitsandknits said...

Where do you get your wonderful poems, Sherry!?! You might make a poetry fan out of me yet!

mARTa said...

I have boxes of photos of people I don't know (inherited from my grandmother). I'm so tempted to just throw them out...maybe I'll hold onto them for awhile. Love your watercolor....and the poem too!

Joan Y said...

Wow Sherry! This watercolor is beautiful and you nailed the lighting!

Yolanda said...

I really like this. So pretty.