Friday, June 7, 2013

Simone - For Julia Kay's Portrait Party

9x12 inches, colored pencil on toned paper

About a week has passed since I get back from my workshop week at Dillmans, and my art materials are back in the studio.  The summer session of figure drawing at UW Whitewater is underway, and I finally did another sketch for Julia Kay's Portrait Party on Flickr.  Flicker has been where I have a record of most of my artwork, but recently they altered their format, throwing many users into a distracted sense that they no longer were in Kansas.  But I resist the urge to throw up my arms and wail.  Everything changes.  It's good to adapt.

I like the portrait party people - they are many and fearless.  This is a tight sketch, remarkable for me only in that it is larger than usual.  My week with Robert Burridge at Dillman's may have convinced me that bigger is not only better, but easier as well.  This portrait is a reasonable likeness of a woman named Simone, done with only a white and black colored pencil in a Canson tan toned notebook.  It's literal rendering is nothing like the bigger gesture drawings I did of an undraped model at my recent workshop, and then tried again at UW Whitewater Monday evening.  But there is something satisfying at the simplicity of the materials in this sketch. 

Simple is good.


1 comment:

ann @ studiohyde said...

Love this portrait and nice to know the materials you used.

I agree, that things have to change...I for one got very frustrated earlier this week with Flickr, but not being one to give up I have kept at it and now feel I am some way nearer to getting to grips with the new Flickr :)