Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Hop Scotch

I've been finishing up on a second miniature for the summer show at the Paint Box gallery.  This one features two rabbits hopping over earth in the shape of a heart.

5x5 inches, mixed media

These gilded miniatures don't photograph very well, because the gold leaf is reflective.  I like the rabbits - maybe I'm associating them in my mind with spring - but I had to go back and intensify the lights and darks to make them pop against the gold, since the value was originally too close that that of the background.  The little heart-shaped globe worried me also, since it certainly isn't particularly accurate, but I finally decided that doesn't matter much.  The piece is just playful and decorative.

So, now it needs to thoroughly dry, and be varnished.  Then it can be sent off to Door county.

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

Love it! The globe is perfect!