Sunday, October 14, 2007

Murder Mystery


Edward Lemuel Adams

I know, it's morbid. But I can't help being interested in what really happened with my great grandfather. Yesterday I posted my grandmother's memories of him, but I suspect there it more. For one thing, besides photos, I inherited books from various historical societies and regional publications. In a thick paperback history book called Early History of Fairfield: Glimpses of Life in a Pioneer Farming Town there was a loose sheet, a photocopy of an obituary. This is what it said:

The remains of Edward Adams were brought to Rockford Wednesday and interred in Fairview Cemetery. The funeral services were conducted from the Presbyterian church at two o'clock by Dr. Duncan of Fairfield and services at the grave by I.O.O.F. lodge of Fairfield.

According to newspaper reports Mr. Adams was shot and killed by Matt Snyder, a logger, at Hamilton, near Seattle, late Saturday night. Both men had tried for the same job, which Adams secured, a quarrel ensued with the above results.

Mr. Adams was a son of Mr. and Mrs. H.H. Adams of near Fairfield and was well-known to the older residents of this section.

The aged parents, wife, daughter, brothers and sisters have the sympathy of the entire community in their sad bereavement.

My goodness. I understood Sarah and Len were divorced by then. Grandma said Grandpa Adams fired the other man. It doesn't look that way from what I found. The search continues.

No comments: