Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Figure Drawing, New Pencils

Five minute gesture drawing, charcoal, pastel

The summer session of Whitewater's Community figure drawing continues, with a small but loyal group.  We all get along well, though individual goals vary wildly.  One craves long poses, while others prefer more variety.  One works very small, and others work larger.  One works in charcoal, another in pencil, a third in ink.  But all enjoy the immediacy of a live model, and the discipline of working week after week.

Thirty minute drawing, colored pencil on toned paper

While I have been resisting spending too much time on faces, preferring to emphasize overall shape over detail, I enjoyed using a new-to-me small set of drawing pencils from Derwent.  They're called Coloursoft, and I adored the silky application, and rich color.  I got mine in Sturgeon Bay last week, and plan to return in a week or so when I return to Door County for a collage workshop, and I want a few more to try.

No comments: