Monday, March 9, 2009

Godzilla! and The 64-65 World's Fair


Unisphere, New York World's Fair, 1964



Here's a postcard of the same event



I was thirteen when I took this snapshot at Sinclair Dinoland at the World's Fair



Here's what I did with a scanned copy of the old photo and a vintage German postcard.

Pretty soon this mania I seem to have acquired should play itself out.  Besides vintage line art from old textbooks, I have thousands of personal snapshots I have scanned.  The image of a vengeful lizard taking out a city isn't new, but I have a story about this one.  When I was thirteen my grandparents took me by Amtrak to New York City.  I was thrilled.  We rode the subway, saw Barefoot in the Park with Robert Redford, ate cheesecake at Sardis, and spent a couple of days at the World's Fair.  I particularly remember the Wisconsin exhibit (the world's largest cheese), a Disney animated display that sang It's a Small World After All, and the Michelangelo's Pieta, viewed from a moving walkway, and an ultramodern Kodak pavilion with a huge movie screen that foreshadowed Imax.  We also went to the Sinclair Dinoland. That area featured life-sized fiberglass dinosaurs and had sidewalks edged with lava rocks. I backed up with my Brownie camera to take a photo of the T-Rex.  I didn't feel anything at first, but then a woman tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I knew I was bleeding. Sure enough, I had lacerated my ankle on the sharp rock, and my canvas flat was soaked.  Dinosaurs can be dangerous.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I'm loving your stories with your collage. You're inspiring me to take photos of random stuff I would probably never photograph. Documentary photography is great for collage.

laura said...

You really make collage look fun, Sherry! I was at the World's Fair too! I was four and threw a big, screaming, legs-going-limp fit (of terror) when I saw Mickey Mouse while waiting on line for It's a Small World.

Judybec said...

Great post!!

I was at the NY world's fair too! I was 7 so I really don't remember much BUT I DO remember the "It's a Small World" exhibit!!!!! I think I rode that one several times! I also remember some Indians flying around a pole (?) and seeing Ed Sullivan getting out of a car near our hotel. I remember throwing a fit because my parents wouldn't buy me one of those big red bouncy balls with a handle that you sit on.

I love, love, love seeing the photos you took and your collage is so fun!

Gina said...

Hi Sherry,
Through Roz Would Up, I found your blog and have enjoyed reading it, especially posts about combining old postcards and personal photos, as well as ones about sketching and altering your photos.