Saturday, May 10, 2008

Spring Morning, Rotary Gardens

We took a walk this morning a mile or so from our house to Rotary Gardens. When I first moved here, the area was a mass of scrub trees and brush, with and BMX track running through it. Over time the gardens have become a treasure for people in Janesville, and quite a tourist attraction. If you'd like to see the gardens official web site, it is listed on the right side of my page.

One of my favorite areas is the Japanese garden. Today a chipmunk found his breakfast on a rock by a stone sculpture. People often come to the gardens to take pictures or to paint. It's always hard for me to find an area to concentrate on, there is so much to look at.


A family of Canada geese also was out for a walk on the raked gravel path. It's hard to see, but several walkways were closed because of high water. I love the redbud blooming here.

Loveliest of Trees, A.E. Houseman

LOVELIEST of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.
Now, of my threescore years and ten, 5
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.
And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room, 10
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.

4 comments:

Judybec said...

Lovely photos and what a beautiful poem. My favorite is the photo with the geese family!

Claudia said...

Thank you for the thoughtful poem!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

My, I will have to go here the next time I am in WI to see the Grands. It is someplace I can take them. I am sure they have never been there.

Anonymous said...

I just adore adore adore that poem. I really love John Duke's musical setting of it.

Thank you for sharing it along with your wonderful photos!