Sunday, June 1, 2008

Artist of the Month



These are details of a few of the watercolors, monoprints, and colored pencil pieces I put in an exhibit at the Hedberg Public Library here in Janesville. For the past couple years I had a goal to have an exhibit of my work, so I applied and was accepted. My excitement at being chosen to show my work for a month in a busy public place was quickly followed by fear and anxiety. Would there be enough to fill the space? Would it be a problem that there is no obvious theme to tie the show together? Would people like them? Could I get them all framed in time? What on earth could I write as an "artist statement"?

Then there was the issue of the "Meet the Artist" interview that I had the option of doing. Many featured artists do a videotaped interview that is shown on local access television while the show runs. I worried that I would have nothing to say, or that what I did say would sound amateurish or foolish. I worried about the weight I gained over the winter (the camera adds ten pounds). In the end I did the interview. It helped that I know and like the interviewer, and she seemed interested in my drawings, paintings and sketchbooks. Actually, she made the interview fun, although I have not seen it yet, and don't know how I ended up sounding or looking.

Anyway, the show is hung, all thirty-five pieces. Many thanks to my friend Mary Ann who helped me decide where to put what. The interview is over. The artist statement is written. All I have left to do is arrange a display case of my collection of sketchbooks. Can you hear the sigh of relief?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! We want to hear all about it and see some of the photos from the Library! Please....

caseytoussaint said...

This looks like an amazing collection of work - your show is going to be such a success!

Sharon said...

Congratulations, Sherry. What an accomplishment! I'm sure it will be a great success. And thanks for sharing your angst. Please let us know how it goes...with photos.