Thursday, May 3, 2007

May Flowers



I've been trying to decide what to write about our long weekend. We left Saturday and returned Tuesday from a trip to New Orleans. I will write more after I process all the thoughts and emotions that trip produced. The theme everywhere, on shirts, posters, bumper stickers, and people's talk is rebuilding, renewal. That's the message of spring, I suppose.

For now, I'll just say how beautiful spring in Wisconsin is. When we left the dandelions were leaping out of the ground and the leaves were just emerging. Today the leaves are coming out enough to produce some shade, and the lilacs are starting to open. The flowering trees around town are magnificent, gaudy with color and sweet scented. They remind me every year that no matter how cold and dreary winter can be, there is always spring to look forward to.

No comments: