Sunday, June 19, 2011

Virtual Paintout: New Zealand

5x7 inches, acrylic on paper

I took a break from ravens this afternoon to participate in this month's Virtual Paintout.  I realized once I virtually "drove" all over the southern island, that (1) lots of the country is very rural, (2) most of the coastal areas get lots of rain, clouds, and fog while the interior is sunnier, and (3)  there are vast areas that are much flatter than I ever imagined.  I had some sort of Hobbit-land in my mind when I went searching for something to paint.  

I was interested in this month's paintout in particular because I know a little about a fellow reader who lives in Christchurch, where she and her husband have suffered through months of earthquakes, seemingly every week.  I pay attention to the news from there now, which is one good way the internet is bringing people of the world closer together.

4 comments:

ann @ studiohyde said...

Really like your painting, good job. I've had the same issues trying to find somewhere in NZ to paint for VP challenge:/ ...Happy painting, ann.

Ann said...

This is a beautiful painting. I like the background peeking through around the edges of things. The painting reminds me of a Cezanne in a way.

RH Carpenter said...

I tell myself I'll join in the VP sometime - and even print out photos once in a while - but haven't done it yet. I like this simple but effective painting (but was looking for a crow in the sky) :)

Brendan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.